Dogs love spending time outdoors. A simple dog house will make them warmer and more comfortable during the colder weather. They are great when you have friends around and need to shut your dog somewhere. Besides feeding the dog with balance nourishing food, you need to give them a comfortable home to live with.
They are perfect for when you need five minutes’ peace. Overall, we love dog houses and you should too. It is saying that purchasing a dog house can be pretty costly. With various models and sizes on the market, you could spend a lot on something simple which you could easily make at home.
Here is our step by step guide on how to create a simple dog house at home.
Items You Needed:
- Spur cutters and 1-3/8-inch spade bit
- Hand Stapler
- Utility knife and shingle-cutting hook blades
- Countersink bit and assorted drill bits
- Cordless drill with screw-driving attachment
- Miter saw
- Medium-grit sandpaper
- Orbital Sander
- Circular saw with plywood-cutting blade
- Framing Square
- Jigsaw with crosscut blade
- Cedar Board
- Pressure Treated Board
- Wood Screws
- Paint or Stain
- Roofing paper
- Roofing nails
- Roofing cement
- Asphalt shingles
- Galvanized Staples
Step by Step – What To Do
- The first step is to layout the pieces of plywood and trace on the measurements from a simple diagram. You can get these all over the internet. You can download them with measurements. Most come in small sizes, medium or large depending on the size of dog house you want to create. The doorway can be made to your desired size but keep in mind that dogs like a small door because it makes them feel cozy and safe when they are in the doghouse. Measure out the sides and the core rooftop onto your plywood and get ready for the next step.
- Now you need to cut out all the pieces you have just traced onto the wood. Make sure you use your clamps so you can get a sturdy cut. This thing is also safer that just cutting the loose wood. You need to be careful and stay on the lines you traced otherwise the pieces won’t fit together. When cutting out the doorway, you need to be careful because this is what provides ventilation for the doghouse. It might be a fantastic idea to build a few small holes in the back of the dog house for extra ventilation. When you have completed this then gradually sand down all the edges of each piece. Be careful to make sure no rough edges are left anywhere.
- Next, you need to build or assemble a base. Many people like to do a concrete base, but a simple base from pressure treated plywood is just as good.
It will elevate the dog house off the ground. It will keep the floor dry and provide extra insulation during cold weather. If you are using plywood, make four short sides, and then attach a top layer on top. Choose the best cordless drill for this. Screw it together, and you have your base. Take note your base should be hollow to stop water from seeping through to the dog house.
- Next, you need to assemble the side pieces of the dog house. These are the four sides you have cut out and sanded. When you assemble them, you need to make sure each side is flush with one another. Secure each piece with galvanized wood screws using your cordless drill. Make sure you secure the sides to the base every four or five inches. It will provide extra strength. Next, Attach the roof panels. You need to be aware and make sure the overhangs on the back and front are even width. You need these overhangs to stop water from entering the dog house when it rains. It also provides extra protection from the wind. Again, fasten the roof panels with screws using your cordless drill.
- Now you need to shingle the roof. To start with you need to cover the roof with one piece of tar or roofing paper. It is another layer that will help ensure your dog stays dry during cold, wet and damp weather. Simply staple the roofing paper in place. Then you need to trim the edges to make sure they are flush with the roof edges. Be extra careful and make sure no nails or staples have come through the roof because these could be a danger to your dog. Next, you need to install the shingles on the ceiling. These are lightweight and add yet, even more, protection. Gently lay them on and press flat until you are happy with the way they look. You can leave an overhang if you wish or not. This is up to you. Keep them sturdy by nailing or screwing them in. Don’t forget that each ridge should overlap the previous one and cover the nail heads. It will offer the professional look. Any nails that can be seen can be covered with a dash of roofing cement.
- Last but not least you need to add the finishing touches to your dog house. You can stain it or paint it. Whichever you wish, cover the screw holes with roofing cement before painting to give an excellent finish. Add a nameplate above the door, and you are ready to put it in the garden. You should leave it a day or two before letting your dog use it as the fumes from the paint could make your dog ill.
There you have it. You can make a simple, inexpensive dog house. Easy to do and cost effective. It will most likely become your dog’s favorite place in the entire home. When placing your doghouse outside, try to choose a shady area, maybe under or beside a tree. Place a blanket inside, and a water bowl and everyone is happy! It might take your dog some time to get used to it but with a few treats and a lot of praise your dog will be using it in no time.